[ome-users] folder under OMERO

Mark Carroll m.t.b.carroll at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 10:31:07 BST 2018

Dear Andreas,

>    Can I create any folder under the OMERO folder. I'll put my
>    Database-Dump in a folder called Backup there.

First, kudos for asking first instead of just doing it. (-: Now you have
me wondering what admins have already done at other sites.

Especially given (a) below, I don't believe that we yet make promises
about what OMERO's going to do with unexpected directories in its binary
repository: of course, in some new version we may end up naming a
special OMERO directory in a way that coincides with a name you also
thought of and then its behavior may be excitingly undefined.

I've created
https://trello.com/c/RgsUdb5X/426-allow-non-omero-dirs-in-repo to note
this issue for consideration in our regular triages. In the meantime:

(a) We don't do any pre-release testing of the kind of thing you propose
so don't be very surprised if it breaks someday.

(b) Especially, maybe try to set mounts/permissions to protect your
"unofficial" directory so that the user that your OMERO server runs as
cannot write to or delete within it. Same for the users under which you
run "bin/omero admin cleanse" and its like.

(c) What you propose will probably work just fine. (-: Regardless of the
above points, we can't think of any reason why it would bother current
OMERO in the slightest.

(d) ... especially if you use a name more unusual/local than "Backup"!

Of course, depending on what we figure about how we should best
accommodate this need, we may come up with some naming scheme such that
you'd then have to rename your existing directory to fit in with it. I'm
hoping that inconvenience would be but minor.

-- Mark