[ome-users] question about Bio-Formats.

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Apr 8 10:45:08 BST 2015

Hi Qi,

all understood and this certainly makes sense.
The Bio-Formats API has a method to return bytes corresponding to a thumbnail instead of a full plane, see
http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.1.0/api/loci/formats/FormatReader.html#openThumbBytes(int)

This method can be used in the same way that bfGetPlane() makes use openBytes() to retrieve a single
plane. Here, the final array would have to be resized by the thumbnail size, typically 128 x 128, instead
of the full plane dimensions

Note however that the way to get thumbnails for almost all of the readers is to read the pixels data
and scale it internally. For very large WSI, calling this method will likely be restricted to the same memory
limitations as reading full planes.

Best regards,
Sebastien