[ome-users] OMERO 5.1-m5 observations

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Thu Apr 2 12:38:03 BST 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Paul van Schayck <paul at vanschayck.nl> wrote:
> Dear developers,

Hi Paul,

> First of all, thank you for the hard work on the OMERO 5.1 release.
> I've seen the amount of effort that went into the performance
> optimizations and some of the network performance updates. We also
> love the new key-value annotations. And of course the JPEG exif data
> reading.

Glad to hear it!

> We've been testing the OMERO 5.1-m5 release and we've had a few observations
>
> - The stand alone OMERO.importer client is gone from the download
> site. I see that it is still being build, and of course I can start it
> by passing the right container.xml file to the jar file. But the
> standalone importer is being used in our workflows. So, the question
> is whether you plan on keeping a standalone version working?

The importer.zip is still available from the artifacts folder:

  http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.1.0-m5/artifacts/?C=N;O=A

which is linked from "Components":

  http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/omero/5.1.0-m5/#components

Our primary motivation was to reduce the zip of the OMERO.client zip
since the requirement to have a Java6 and Java7+ version had made
the bundle quite large. It's good to know, though, that someone out
there is looking for it. If not having it in the clients bundle is an issue,
please let us know.

> - I love the new deletion speed. Deleting of datasets with hundreds of
> pictures takes minutes now instead of 30+ mins. However, we may have
> stumbled on a bug in the webclient. When deleting small datasets the
> delete is shown in the activity window. However, when deleting bigger
> datasets (hundreds of pictures) the delete is not shown in progress in
> the activity window. But the delete does actually take place on the
> server. I can replicate this for both Chrome and IE.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Unfortunately, getting this into
5.1.0 wasn't possible, but we'll look into it for 5.1.1. Just to be clear, this
is the delete of a single data with hundreds of individual images? What
file type were they?

> - The OMERO.server/var directory is made now by default with the
> permissions 700. This bited our apache setup running as www-data. Is
> this documentated, and intended?

It's certainly intended that the var directory be created with 700 permissions,
but there hasn't been any recent change to that behavior. But looking
at our docs,
it's not as clear as it should be which we'll take care of. The walkthrough[1]
does include a chmod step.

> Thanks again,
> Paul

All the best & enjoy the upcoming 5.1.0.
~Josh.

[1] https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.1/sysadmins/unix/server-linux-walkthrough.html?highlight=chmod#prerequisites