[ome-users] OMERO 5.1-m5 observations

Paul van Schayck paul at vanschayck.nl
Wed Apr 1 10:59:40 BST 2015

Dear developers,

First of all, thank you for the hard work on the OMERO 5.1 release.
I've seen the amount of effort that went into the performance
optimizations and some of the network performance updates. We also
love the new key-value annotations. And of course the JPEG exif data
reading.

We've been testing the OMERO 5.1-m5 release and we've had a few observations

- The stand alone OMERO.importer client is gone from the download
site. I see that it is still being build, and of course I can start it
by passing the right container.xml file to the jar file. But the
standalone importer is being used in our workflows. So, the question
is whether you plan on keeping a standalone version working?

- I love the new deletion speed. Deleting of datasets with hundreds of
pictures takes minutes now instead of 30+ mins. However, we may have
stumbled on a bug in the webclient. When deleting small datasets the
delete is shown in the activity window. However, when deleting bigger
datasets (hundreds of pictures) the delete is not shown in progress in
the activity window. But the delete does actually take place on the
server. I can replicate this for both Chrome and IE.

- The OMERO.server/var directory is made now by default with the
permissions 700. This bited our apache setup running as www-data. Is
this documentated, and intended?

Thanks again,

Paul