[ome-users] Expanding binary repository across multiple drives?

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Wed Sep 7 11:35:03 BST 2011

On Sep 6, 2011, at 1:10 PM, Burkhard Höckendorf wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is my first mail to the list, so first of all I would like to ask whether there is a FAQ that I should read. I didn't find anything and the archive seems browsable, but non-searchable.

There is a FAQ: https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/faq/
as well as a forums page: https://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/

But I don't think they have your answer specifically.

> I have just started an OMERO server and I am really happy about it. Great tool, thanks for working on this!

We do it very gladly!

> Here are my questions:
> We will have to expand the space for the binary repository at some point. What is the best way to do this? As far as I understand we can add another drive to the server, create an additional repository on that drive and access it through a separate server instance, although both servers would be running on the same physical machine.
>
> Is it also possible to access both repositories through the same server instance? If so, would the 2 repositories be independent such that every dataset completely resides in only one of them, and inavailability of one repo wouldn't affect the datasets in the other? Is there an alternative way that I'm missing?

One of our next major features will include a re-examination of the repository infrastructure to hopefully allow more than one, with just the flexibility that you are talking about. At the moment, however, if you would like to just access the additional disk space of the new drive from the same OMERO instance, you can symlink some directories from /OMERO off to the new location. /OMERO/Pixels tends to be the largest directory, and it will contain up to 1000 files and 1000 directories. You can put any number of those on the other disk.

> Thanks and best wishes,
> Burkhard

Cheers,
~Josh.