[ome-users] Bits per pixel

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Jun 30 17:23:11 BST 2011

Hi everyone,

I might try to pull the original metadata from OMERO ("DataChannel # Bits
> Per Sample") to get the real depth, or make a guess based on the min/max
> values unless anyone has a more elegant solution.

This idea of "valid bits per pixel" comes up a fair amount, and is distinct
from the storage bit depth—particularly for 12-bit data. Bio-Formats already
supports reporting this information:

  /**
   * Gets the number of valid bits per pixel. The number of valid bits per
   * pixel is always less than or equal to the number of bits per pixel
   * that correspond to {@link #getPixelType()}.
   */
  int getBitsPerPixel();

Perhaps we should add a field to the OME-XML schema to record this value in
a standard way?

Regards,
Curtis