[ome-users] Bits per pixel

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jun 30 16:55:12 BST 2011

Hi Mark,

  Sorry - meant to reply earlier.

On 23 Jun 2011, at 16:54, Mark Woodbridge wrote:

> Ok. It's using uint16. I think all our Zeiss images are 12-bit.
>
> I'm not sure whether it's safe to use min/max because if the
> exported images are used in batch processing then each image will
> have a different range.
>
> I might try to pull the original metadata from OMERO ("DataChannel #
> Bits Per Sample") to get the real depth, or make a guess based on
> the min/max values unless anyone has a more elegant solution.

Hmm - if you want to make sure that all the images in a batch export
have the same range, you could get the min/max from all of them first,
then choose a global rendering setting to apply to all images.

However, another problem with using the min/max is that this is the
range BEFORE projection. After doing the projection you are likely to
have significant portions of the image become saturated using this
rendering window? However, if doing this for a whole batch of images,
it is likely that only the brightest few images would have this problem.

> Similarly (but less important), is there a way to specify the bit
> depth when using renderingEngine.renderProjectedAsPackedInt so that
> I can produce a 12 bit (rather than 8 bit) tiff?

No, afraid not.
It's not really a "tiff" you're getting but 32 bits (8 each for
r,g,b,a) of data that can be used for png, jpeg etc.

   Will.