[ome-users] Another newbie question - why won't Omero web come up?

Taylor, Ronald C ronald.taylor at pnl.gov
Wed May 12 00:00:56 BST 2010

Hello,

In addition to my problem about the Omero Java client not coming up (see separate, earlier email), I also cannot get the Omero web server to come up on port 8000 on my desktop (sidney.pnl.gov).  So I could also use some help with that.

Omero web settings were set like so - which appeared to work fine:

sidney85% omero web settings

Please enter the domain you want to run OMERO.web on (http://www.domain.com:8000/):http://sidney.pnl.gov:8000
Please enter the Email address you want to send from (omero_admin at example.com): ronald.taylor at pnl.gov Please enter the SMTP server host you want to send from (smtp.example.com): mailhost.emsl.pnl.gov
Optional: please enter the SMTP server port (default 25):
Optional: Please enter the SMTP server username:
Optional: Password:

Optional: TSL? (yes/no):
Saved to /sid/Omero/Omero_install/omero_dist/lib/python/omeroweb/custom_settings.py

Please enter Username for OMERO.web administrator: rtaylor Please enter Email address: ronald.taylor at pnl.gov Please enter password for OMERO.web administrator: r*****9

Please re-enter password for OMERO.web administrator: r*****9

<string>:36: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead Saved to /sid/Omero/Omero_install/omero_dist/lib/python/omeroweb/initial_data.json

Database synchronization...

Creating table django_admin_log
Creating table auth_permission
Creating table auth_group
Creating table auth_user
Creating table auth_message
Creating table django_content_type
Creating table django_session
Creating table django_site
Creating table feedback_emailtemplate
Creating table webadmin_gateway
Installing index for admin.LogEntry model Installing index for auth.Permission model Installing index for auth.Message model Installing json fixture 'initial_data' from absolute path.
Installed 2 object(s) from 1 fixture(s)
OMERO.web was configured successful. Please start the application.

sidney86%

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I next invoked ICE and started the OMERO web server, like so:

sidney294% omero admin ice
Ice 3.4.0  Copyright 2003-2010 ZeroC, Inc.
>>> server enable web
error: couldn't find server `web'

>>> server enable Web
>>>
>>> server start Web
>>>
>>> server state Web
active (pid = 7269, enabled)

>>> exit
sidney295%
sidney295%

That appeared to work OK, too. I also checked on port 8000 - it is open.

However, when I point my browser to

  http://sidney.pnl.gov:8000

My browser says that it connot connect. What is going wrong?

   - Ron Taylor

PS - Though I gave the results of a "omero adimin diagnostics" run in the earlier email, I repeat it here at bottom for easy reference.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Diagnostic run:

sidney87% omero admin diagnostics

OMERO Diagnostics Beta-4.1.1-r5927-b91

Commands:   java -version                  1.6.0     (/msrc/apps/jdk_1.6/bin/java -- 2 others)
Commands:   python -V                      2.6.5     (/sid/Omero/Python/bin/python -- 2 others)
Commands:   icegridnode --version          3.4.0     (/sid/Omero/Ice/Ice-3.4.0/bin/icegridnode)
Commands:   icegridadmin --version         3.4.0     (/sid/Omero/Ice/Ice-3.4.0/bin/icegridadmin)
Commands:   psql --version                 8.3.10    (/sid/Omero/Postgres/8.3/bin/psql)

Server:     icegridnode                    running
Server:     Blitz-0                        active (pid = 7016, enabled)
Server:     DropBox                        inactive (disabled)
Server:     FSServer                       active (pid = 7029, enabled)
Server:     Indexer-0                      active (pid = 7031, enabled)
Server:     OMERO.Glacier2                 active (pid = 7034, enabled)
Server:     OMERO.IceStorm                 inactive (disabled)
Server:     Processor-0                    inactive (disabled)
Server:     Tables-0                       inactive (disabled)
Server:     TestDropBox                    inactive (enabled)
Server:     Web                            active (pid = 7774, enabled)

Log dir:    /sid/Omero/Omero_install/omero_dist/var/log exists

Log files:  Blitz-0.log                    44.0 KB       errors=2    warnings=34
Log files:  DropBox.log                    n/a
Log files:  FSServer.log                   2.0 KB        errors=0    warnings=12
Log files:  Indexer-0.log                  3.0 KB        errors=0    warnings=2
Log files:  OMEROweb.log                   0.0 KB
Log files:  OMEROweb.log.2010-05-11        0.0 KB
Log files:  Processor-0.log                n/a
Log files:  Tables-0.log                   n/a
Log files:  TestDropBox.log                n/a
Log files:  master.err                     6.0 KB        errors=0    warnings=4
Log files:  master.out                     0.0 KB
Log files:  Total size                     0.06 MB
sidney88%

I also set the Omero web parameters, like so:

Please enter Email address: ronald.taylor at pnl.gov
[...]

Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.
Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
902 Battelle Boulevard
P.O. Box 999, Mail Stop J4-33
Richland, WA  99352 USA