[ome-users] OMERO Import issues...

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 23 16:25:41 BST 2009

Hi Björn & David,

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for your trouble importing large image
planes. As of Beta 4.0.3, the OMERO.importer defaults to a maximum heap size
of 1024 MB. So any image planes of 1 GB or more are certainly too large to
process successfully, and even image planes over 512 MB may have problems
due to temporary overhead or garbage collection issues.

One workaround is to increase the maximum heap size. With a 32-bit JVM, this
limit can often be 1536 or even ~1800 GB depending on your operating system.
The process for increasing the heap size is platform-dependent, however. For
example, on Mac OS X, right click the OMERO.importer icon, choose "Show
package contents," navigate into Contents, and edit the Info.plist file's
line "-Xmx1024M" to read "-Xmx1700M" or whatever value you wish to try.

That said, we have plans to improve the support for large image planes by
processing them in tiles, negating the need for such a large amount of RAM
at once. Unfortunately, this support is not planned until at least Beta 4.2.
The Bio-Formats readers already support processing an image plane in tiles,
but the writers do not, so the bfconvert command line tool does not yet
support this either.

-Curtis