[ome-users] OMERO Beta4.0

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Mar 27 19:56:34 GMT 2009

Hi All-

The OME Consortium (http://openmicroscopy.org) is proud to announce
the release of OMERO Beta4.0.  This release is the product of a huge
effort from our development team, and marks substantial changes in
OMERO's infrastructure and significant steps in functionality.  Much
of the functionality we are releasing has been developed in direct
response to feedback from users, either through these lists, or at our
annula OME Users Meeting at Institut Pasteur in Paris.

OME and OMERO resources.
In the past we have used our Trac sites as user resources.  Many of
you will know these sites from accessing our MilestoneDownloads
pages.  In response to many requests, we've moved our main portals for
documentation and downloads to the main project site, http://openmicroscopy.org
.  The pages here will continue to develop and mature over the next
few weeks.  However, the site is mature enough to serve as a complete
Beta4 reference.  The starting point for OMERO is:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/documents/data-management/omero4

You'll find docs, definitions, and of course downloads.

As always, any feedback on mistakes, requests, or comments is much
appreciated.

What's new in Beta4?
Better to ask, what isn't! Briefly:

-- OMERO.server: remove JBOSS, and switch all remoting to ICE.
Improve session management, supporting creation of many thousands of
session.  Addition of an import service, for server-side importing. DB
upgrades to support the metadata completion facilities.  Substantial
improvement to interaction between indexing engine and rest of
server.  Please Note: For those of you running OMERO.server on
Windows, the Blitz server runs according to the instructions on http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/documents/data-management/omero4/server/install-windows
.  However, OMERO.web is not supported yet under Windows.  We will fix
that imminently.

-- OMERO.importer: Migration to Blitz interface, giving much faster
performance.  More efficient importing, complete metadata support for
Zeiss LSM510, Leica LIF, Zeiss ZVI, Applied Precision DV, and
MetaMorph STK.  Add command line importer for batch import.

-- OMERO.insight:  Migration to Blitz interface, giving much faster
performance.  Updates to metadata display, include complete support
for OME Data Model.  Much expanded integration of protocol management
via OMERO.editor, within OMERO.insight.  Support for image delete.
Refinement of Projection Interface.

-- OMERO.web:  all new browser-based client for OMERO.  Enables
sharing of images with colleagues (must have account on server)

-- OMERO.editor: a management tool for experimental protocols, now
fully integrated with OMERO.insight, so that protocols and
experimental descriptions can be saved along with images and
datasets.  Includes a new parameters function, so that protocols in
traditional documents can be easily imported into OMERO. Supports,
tables and .xls files.  Also runs as a standalone application.

-- OMERO.fs: a new OMERO client, that monitors a specific directory
and enables automatic imports.  In its first incarnation, has quite
limited functionality, supporting automatic import of LSM510 files
only.  More coming soon!

As always, if you want the gory details, see

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/milestone/OMERO-Beta4
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/milestone/OMERO-Beta4

Docs & Videos:
We've been pretty busy getting Beta4 ready and documented, so we
haven;t yet updated the videos at http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/videos
.  New videos will appear over the next few weeks (they are really
alot of work!).  Also, many of docs on our Trac sites are being
deprecated.  In general, use http://openmicroscopy.org as a pointer
for up-to-date docs.

Permissions:
Please note that in Beta4, all data in an OMERO server is now
private-- in response to many requests.  Thus, all your images and
tags are visible only by you.  You can share images with other users
with the Share mechanism in OMERO.web.  This is in preparation for
allowing users to change their own permissions in later releases.

Please let us know if you have any problems or comments.  As always,
using the "Send a Comment" facility logs your suggestions with OME
developers, and is an important source of information for us.

Thanks again for your support and interest.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street