[ome-users] Accessing web interfaces from other computers

Mario Valle mvalle at cscs.ch
Tue Apr 21 16:15:26 BST 2009

Confirm that the problem is still in 4.0.1

Ciao!
	mario

Mark Woodbridge wrote:
> I had the same problem as Paulo. Adding:
>
> <option>0.0.0.0:8000</option>
>
> to etc/grid/templates.xml didn't work. But changing
> lib/python/omero/plugins/server.py to include:
>
> django =
> ["python","manage.py","runserver","0.0.0.0:8000","--noreload"]+list(args)
>
> did work. I also needed to install python-imaging and python-sqlite2 on
> RHEL to get webadmin/webclient to work, in case anyone else is having
> problems.
>
> My ICE java/RPM problems were sorted after using DEBUG=1 (thanks Josh!).
>
> Mark.
>
> josh.moore at gmx.de wrote:
>> Ola Paulo,
>>
>> Paulo Almeida writes:
>>  > I can access the webadmin and webclient interfaces from the server,
>>  > but not from other machines.
>>  >
>>  > nmap says port 8000 is closed, and the output of:
>>  >
>>  > netstat -an |grep 8000
>>  >
>>  > is:
>>  >
>>  > tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:8000          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
>>  >
>>  > I think that means it is only listening on 127.0.0.1?
>>
>> Exactly. The webclient doesn't come with HTTPS out-of-the-box. In
>> order to protect your installation, we start it only on 127.0.0.1. To
>> make it listen elsewhere, you'll need to modify etc/grid/templates.xml
>>
>>     <server-template id="ShellTemplate">
>>       <parameter name="id"/>
>>       <parameter name="exe" default="python"/>
>>       <parameter name="act" default="always"/>
>>       <server id="${id}" exe="${exe}" activation="${act}">
>>         <option>lib/python/shellserver.py</option>
>>         <option>${id}</option>
>>         <!-- ADD THE NEXT LINE -->
>>         <option>http://your.address.com</option>
>>         <adapter name="${id}Adapter" register-process="true" endpoints="tcp"/>
>>       </server>
>>     </server-template>
>>
>> where the value you add is passed to `python manage.py runserver`
>> who's command-line option is of the form: ipaddr:port
>>
>> This installation is meant to get you started with the server, but you
>> may want to look at the OMERO.web instructions directly. See:
>> https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroWeb
>>
>>  > If so, how do I make omero listen to computers other than
>>  > localhost? I tried 'bin/omero config simple' (and advanced) but
>>  > that returned:
>>
>>   bin/omero config simple?
>>
>> Where did you see these commands? I'm not quite sure where it could
>> have come from. See:
>>
>>   bin/omero config
>>
>> for instructions on using config, but unfortunately there is no
>> configuration parameter for setting the interface used by OMERO.web.
>>
>>  > unhashable type
>>

>> This is actually *really* odd, maybe you could help us track it
>> down. What python version are you using? What java version?
>>
>>   python --version
> [...]

Ing. Mario Valle
Data Analysis and Visualization Group            | http://www.cscs.ch/~mvalle
Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)      | Tel:  +41 (91) 610.82.60
v. Cantonale Galleria 2, 6928 Manno, Switzerland | Fax:  +41 (91) 610.82.82