[ome-users] Initialize the OMERO database

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Wed Apr 8 19:09:08 BST 2009

Hi Stuart,

before I begin a minor warning, we'll be releasing 4.0.1 in the next
day or two with improved Windows support. So, though it doesn't change
any of the instructions for getting your database setup, it may make
sense to wait for the final installation until then.

But first, your db...

Smith, Stuart C writes:

 > Hi, I'm sure this will be a very basic question to most of you but
 > I have been asked to set up a PC running the OMERO server
 > installation and have followed the Windows installation document
 > upto the point where you are asked to "Initialize the OMERO
 > database" with the script...
 >
 > $ cd C:\omero-Beta4.0.0\
 > $ bin\omero db script
 > Please enter omero.db.version [OMERO4]:
 > Please enter omero.db.patch [0]:
 > Please enter password for new OMERO root user:
 > Please re-enter password for new OMERO root user:
 > Saving to C:\omero-Beta4.0.0\OMERO4__0.sql
 > $

 > But have tried pasting into a cmd window, but it doesn't like it. I
 > therefore tried the first line & realised that it wasn't even changing
 > directories, therefore removed the 1st "$" char & that worked, but then
 > got stuck on the 2nd line.  Can someone please help me initialize the
 > DB.

The dollar signs are a copy-n-paste issue from the non-Windows
instructions. Sorry about that. I've fixed them in the documentation
for the coming release.

 > Also, as I was unsure if it had worked, although I wasn't prompted for
 > the password as I added it to the script manually so I tried the next
 > step of populating the database by copying the script in the
 > installation document into "SQL Shell (psql)" and this errored, but was
 > this because I hadn't initialized the db?
 >
 > Any help you guys can offer would be great as I have been asked to set
 > this up to see if the software is useful to us.

Alright. I'm a bit lost in what you tried, and what did and didn't
work. What you should use to create your database script is:

  cd C:\omero-Beta4.0.0\
  bin\omero db script

Then you should be asked the questions about version and
password. You said you weren't asked for a password. That seems
odd. How did you go about adding that manually?

Once you've done that, then opening the SQL Shell as mentioned in the
docs is certainly correct. The statement "\i ... OMERO4__0.sql" is the
process of initializing your db, so that can't be why it errored. Can
you send us the error that it produced?

 > Thanks in advance,
 > Stuart

Hope that helps somewhat.