[ome-users] missing dependencies

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Wed Mar 26 20:55:25 GMT 2008

Bernd Jagla wrote:
> Hi Chris

Hi Bernd.

> thanks for the answer.
>
> I would like to play around and get to know OMERO a bit from the user's
> point of view and from the developer's point of view. I am mainly/only using
> windows machines and I don't see any reason why not unless you tell you use
> some proprietary software components that won't work on windows... Ideally I
> would be using Eclipse for this. I am not a fan of Eclipse but I don't know
> anything similar. So if you have an idea please let me know.

There's no reason why the build cannot be run on Windows, we just lack
server development time on that platform. None of the OMERO.server
developers work on Windows (and we do not have continuous integration
running on a Windows server yet) so the Windows build does not get
tested regularly.

> Also, can you point me to some documentation that describes the structure of
> OMERO? I didn't find much on tiki...

For Eclipse related documentation you're probably best served by looking
at this page:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroDevelopment

It's a bit dated now but does give you a nice general overview of how to
develop with OMERO and Eclipse.

Furthermore there is general design documentation, etc. on the Tiki here:

http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=OMERO+Java+Server

Let me know if there's any specific questions I can answer.

> Any hints, tips, and tricks are very much appreciated...
>
> Thanks for your kind help.
>
> Bernd
>
> PS. As a "Thank you" I will send you my comments/bug reports/etc... ;-) and
> eventually contribute some code...

Any help is always appreciated. :) I'll be making some changes in the
coming days to get the Windows build going so it'd be great if you could
help test that.

Ciao.

-Chris