[ome-users] import is slow

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Mar 13 02:08:25 GMT 2008

That is somewhat slow, but not sure what to suggest.  Fast computers
and networks help :)  Multi-core computers help a lot.  The image
server (OMEIS) benefits from plenty of RAM, and under-performs on OS
X.  Distributing the various core components (database, web server,
image server) among different computers (or cores) makes the biggest
performance difference.  Poor network bandwidth to OMEIS will make
almost everything very slow.

Also, big chunks of OME are compiled and loaded every time you launch
the perl interpreter from the command line, but these things are pre-
compiled and pre-loaded in Apache/mod-perl.  In other words, the Web
UI may be noticeably faster on "small" jobs.
-I