[ome-users] Viewing SVG images in OME's web interface

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Mar 4 18:59:48 GMT 2008

Hi Paulo
The SVG support in Firefox has come a long way, but it has another
long way to go to do what the SVG viewer needs.
Still, some sort of graceful fall back is probably in order for what
SVG support there is in Firefox.
It would be great to have some help on this - do you know anything
about SVG plug-in detection in Firefox?

The target plug-in for the SVG viewer is Adobe's.  They had good
support for Linux and Firefox, but I think they've grown bored of
this technology now thanks to their acquisition of Flash technologies.

The real solution to this is to drop requirements for SVG in favor of
an AJAX-powered viewer.  Certainly everything we need can be done
this way and with much fewer corporate shenanigans in the mix.  With
the excitement over OMERO, OME server development has unfortunately
suffered, but I am in the process of rectifying that situation.  One
of the first priorities for a new OME Server developer will be to
replace the SVG viewer with something more future-proof.

If you can recommend a temporary fix based on your experiences, I
would certainly be interested in communicating with you about it.

-Ilya