[ome-users] simple questions: OME v.2.6.0

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Nov 8 18:05:43 GMT 2007

Hi Jerry
Both operations are indeed "sysadmin" operations and aren't available
to regular users.
The first one (importing images) is handled by setting up shares on
the back-end.
For instance, in our setup, we have several microscopes with Windows
computers.  These all mount a common shared drive (a samba share from
a separate server) where users store data they want to keep in their
own folders.
The back-end running OME mounts the samba share read-only, and can
see all of the user's folders.  As each user is created, their
"Default Data Directory" is set to their folder on the samba share.
The permissions have to work out so that the apache user on the OME
back-end is able to read user's folders and the files in them.

The second operation - deleting images - is a sysadmin operation that
is currently only available through the "OME Commander" command-line
utility.  Because OME keeps track of provenance, all data in OME is
effectively interconnected, and these references are enforced way
down to the DB level using referential integrity constraints.  A
consequence of being paranoid about losing data is that it is now
much harder to delete.  The "ome data delete" command (use "ome help
data delete") will delete data cleanly by walking the data dependency
graph.  Depending on what you delete, this can be far more than you
might expect.  In most cases, "ome data delete -d Image xxx" is the
command you want.  You should always check what would be deleted by
first looking at the graph traversal using the "ome data delete -n
Image xxx".

-Ilya