[ome-users] OMERO.importer and LSM files

McCaughey, Michael J michael.j.mccaughey at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Nov 5 20:35:34 GMT 2007

Hey all-
I'm trying to use Omero.importer to import Zeiss .lsm files and running into some issues.

My server is a dual Opteron box with 4GB ram, hardware RAID, gigabit NIC. Not much running on it other than FC6 and packages required by OMERO, no other users. Omero is the most recent pre-compiled binary. Client is a dual G5 with 2GB ram and gigbitNIC, importer is v2.1 beta. Client and server are connected through a dedicated gigabit switch with no other network traffic. Performance of server, client, and network should be pretty reasonable.

The .lsm files are captured from both LSM510 and LSM 5Live confocals.

The problem is, I'm finding .lsm files very slow to import. Like hours. For example, I have a 403MB .lsm file (256x256, 6 z slice, 390 time) that I can ftp from client to server in 19 seconds.  It took 5 hours and 2minutes to import it into Omero. Once imported, it seems to be fine.

This seems only to affect lsm files, .tifs (much smaller ~4MB) go over in seconds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Michael J. McCaughey, PhD