[ome-users] Installing OME 2.6.0 on an Xserve

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Aug 28 16:10:15 BST 2007

The OME-Installer.dmg also contains the necessary Installer.app
packages in Packages/x86 (Intel) and Packages/PPC.  You can double-
click on these and install them in order to satisfy all of the
dependencies needed by OME so that the command-line OME installer is
happy.

Honestly, we've worked through X-serve/OS X Server installations
before, and the problem of turning on web sharing is going to trip
you up later anyway unless we figure out exactly why it thinks your
web server isn't turned on.  If Apache on OS X Server is configured
and running properly, the installer will not ask you to turn on web
sharing.  There is nothing in the installer code that cares wether
its on OS X Server or plain-vanilla OS X, and we've had several
reports of problem-free installations for OS X Server.
The following command is the test used by the installer to determine
if Apache is functioning properly.  Copy this command to a Terminal
window (on the xserve) and see what happens:
/usr/bin/curl -s http://localhost/foo
It should look something like this:
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>
If there is no output, then apache is not running or not configured
properly on your xserve.  The test doesn't care what's in the output,
just that there is some.  Other than the server not running, there
are three unlikely reasons for failure, and a likely one (what
happened with the other OS X Server that had trouble):
1.  Apache is configured to return no output on 404 (non-standard).
2.  Apache is set to ignore requests from certain user-agents (also
non-standard).
3.  You have a blank file called foo in your web-server root
directory (/Library/WebServer/Documents usually).
4.  "localhost" is not set correctly on the server.  This will cause
all kinds of problems and not only for OME.  The /etc/hosts file
should have three lines like this:
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost

These are the only possibilities I can think of for a failed Apache
test (no output from the curl command above).

Your XML libraries are also going to give you trouble.  I would
recommend installing them from the packages on the installer disk:
/Volumes/OME-Installer/Packages/x86/OME-Deps-Libs/Packages/
libxml2-2.6.19.pkg (or PPC - depending on your xserve).
I would also install Postgres from the .pkg provided on the OME
installer disk.  There are a variety of Postgres packages out there
which are configured in various ways - better to use the one we ship.

If you get the Apache test to work from the terminal, I expect that
you will have no further trouble from the GUI installer.

-Ilya