[ome-users] Reinstall Problems

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Sat Aug 5 15:41:15 BST 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 4:53 PM, Nicholas Lahens wrote:

> Hi Ilya,
> I originally tried to use the "ome data delete MEX" utility,
> but it always failed (there error message I got generally
> referred to a null value that was encountered or a foreign
> key constraint violation). So I removed the images manually.

Hi Nick
I fixed several "holes" in the deletion utility, so it should delete
everything for you now.
A question came up when deleting Image Import MEXes.  In order to
delete the original file that the image was imported from, you
actually have to take a step further back and delete the Original
File MEX that precedes the import MEX.
In the current CVS version (HEAD and OME_2_6_0), I set the default to
take the step backward and delete "orphaned" Original FIles - in
other words Original File MEXes that do not "feed" any other MEXes.
Does this make sense so far?  The result is that if you delete an
image import MEX, it will delete the image and all of its
descendants, but also delete the original file the image came from
(i.e. delete it from OMEIS).  Does this seem like the "right thing"
to do by default, or would you rather have it not do this by default
and only delete the original file when the -orph flag is set?

I also added delete Image and delete Dataset (with or without
deleting the Dataset's Images) for convenience.
Also one of the major holes was plugged by propagating the deletion
through any Experimenters (users).  This will delete everything
created by the user, which can also be somewhat scary.  Would a
summary at the end of a -n help?  A listing of the major objects
(Project, Dataset, Image, Experimenters) maybe?  Should we always
make the user confirm the deletion (even with -d)?

Let me know if you continue having problems with deletion, and any
suggestions how to improve it.

-Ilya