[ome-users] Fedora Core 4 Mod_Perl installation

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Oct 19 18:02:11 BST 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Girish Polisetty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I updated the mod_perl using yum in Fedora Core 4.

What version did yum update to?

My version is:
[igg at nialglin1 ~]$ yum list mod_perl
Setting up repositories
Installed Packages
mod_perl.i386                            2.0.1-1.fc4
installed

I've tried to upgrade this further, but no banana.  Apparently
there's a 2.0.2, but my yum at least doesn't upgrade that far.

> I checked from the browser localy it's working
> at this link http://localhost/perl-status

Don't know what "perl-status" is.  Mine reports 404.

> But the script file is not able to pickup. Is there anything i need
> to do to detect the mod_perl.
>
> Testing Apache configuration
>   \__ mod_perl [FAILURE].
>
> Errors executing task: Apache/mod_perl is not properly configured.
> Got an error response from http://localhost/perl2/mod_perl_test.pl:

To make sure that mod_perl is running, the installer puts a file
called mod_perl_test.pl in the same directory as serve.pl (the OME
entry point), then tries to retrieve it using a URL.
If you answered 'n' to the "Use Apache2 configuration for developers"
question (or used the default), then serve.pl and mod_perl_test.pl
should be in /OME/perl2.  Otherwise they will be in src/perl2/
relative to the folder containing the install.pl you ran.

If you go to this URL: http://localhost/perl2/mod_perl_test.pl using
your browser, presumably you get a 404.
Do you get any error messages when you do:
sudo /usr/sbin/apachectl restart
How about when right after that you say:
sudo tail /var/log/httpd/error_log
and
sudo tail /var/log/httpd/access_log

Probably we would need all of your httpd conf files (/etc/httpd/conf/
httpd.conf and /OME/conf/httpd2*) to diagnose this.

As a brief rant, I'd like to point out that the mod_perl project has
graciously provided us with an abundance of ways to activate,
configure, and use mod_perl.  At last count, this was three mutually
incompatible mechanisms.  The code changes necessary for OME to
support FC 4 included this third "new and improved" way to accomplish
the exact same thing.  It could very well be that a fourth "new and
improved" mechanism has been dreamed up despite the so-called
"stable" 2.0 release.  Or it could simply be due to a mis-
configuration in one or more of the configuration files.

-Ilya