[ome-users] Creating Other elements: the objectives

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Aug 4 11:41:06 BST 2005

On 4 Aug 2005, at 12:07, Claude Bonnard wrote:

> Hello, OME Fans!

Hi Claude--

Thanks for your email....

> I am trying to go through the definition of the objectives we have
> in our
> facility. This looks like a ...repetitive work, and suggest me some
> comments/questions:
>
> 1) I would like to ask if someone found a way which would be
> somehow shorter
> than introduction from the web interface, in which you have to
> repeat again and
> again the manufacturer, model, etc.

Currently our data entry system is, well, painful.  Ilya's group is
working up a release of HTML forms, to be out later this summer.  We
have received funding to work up a new data entry system,
specifically to streamline the entry of complex data, especially
during import.  The same system can serve as the basis for data entry
as well.

> 2) The other point is that most of the time an objective is
> associated with an
> instrument, but unless you have the sky as limit to your budgets,
> you want to
> use some objective on several microscopes!! (The choice of an
> instrument from
> the "create an objective" page,  crashes the request, sending back
> an eror -but
> this is not the point).

OK, please log it on bugs.openmicroscopy.org.uk

> Would it be possible to have another type of
> "dependency", in which the objective can be unique but not
> associated "forever"
> to an instrument?

OK, any apparent dependency is poor implementation in the UI.  let us
look at this.

> 3) One last point which surprises me is the lack of indication on
> the mounting
> medium (related to a refractive index, or directly the index): this
> information
> is critical in all the computation of resolution, for all image
> treatment via
> deconvolution, and IS an optical parameter as the numerical
> apperture or the
> magnification.

The Data Model needs a number of small revisions-- this, Graham
Klyne's optivar request, etc.  It also needs some more major work to
more clearly support the requirements for cell-based screening.  All
of these are coming, over the next 6 weeks or so.

> Comments? Other suggestions?

Uh, it's a living, breathing project, and your suggestions are very
helpful.  Keep 'em coming!!!  Noting these to this list helps, but
adding them to our Bugzilla officially logs them and makes sure we
and you can track progress and resolution.  As always, thanks much
for your help.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************