[ome-devel] Importing Additional Info About Rois from ImageJ

Mark Carroll m.t.b.carroll at dundee.ac.uk
Wed May 17 10:28:48 BST 2017

On 05/16/2017 03:39 PM, Alison Walter wrote:

> My initial thought was to use annotations; however, this could add a lot
> of overhead to importing/exporting ROIs.

Two things that may alleviate this issue:

* If all an image's ROIs have the same provenance / boundary behavior,
perhaps instead just annotate the image once.

* If annotating the ROIs, it's fine to annotate many ROIs with the same
annotation, though that still adds a lot of links.

The relevant links and annotations may each be small and the server
should cope reasonably with large numbers of them. MapAnnotation may be
especially useful for your kind of structured data. For clients
reading/writing at large scale, batching/pagination can be required.

> As such, I am considering
> putting the ImageJ version in the ROI description field and adding the
> boundary behavior to the Shape name field. Does this sound like a
> reasonable way to get this information into OMERO

This too should work fine, though the meaning of these fields is not
tightly specified so be prepared for other clients interpreting them
differently, perhaps even choosing to render their values atop the
image: nothing prohibits it. At least with annotations, choice of
namespace may allow you to make the meaning of the data string clear.

-- Mark