[ome-devel] In house written .ims file question

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Mon May 15 20:21:29 BST 2017

Hi Neil,

> I just wanted to follow up and let you know that I'm still not able to open
> my custom written .ims file.  I'm running Bio-Formats 5.4.0 and I see an
> error with "Invalid C size: 0" (see below), but when I inspect with HDFView
> I see that my Noc attribute is 1...  The location is /DataSetInfo/Image/Noc

As mentioned previously, Bio-Formats does not currently support the
"Noc" attribute, as we do not have any .ims files that use the current
version of the Imaris 5.5 specification.  Bio-Formats reads the
channel count from the "NumberOfChannels" attribute; we can certainly
update it to support "Noc", but we would first need a file for testing
purposes.

> In looking through the subtleties between different versions of Imaris files
> I see that not all attributes are needed for Imaris to open the files, and I
> wonder if we have a situation where the information is being pulled from a
> different attribute.
>
> Do you have a .ims file you can share that I can compare to, and hopefully
> add the missing attributes?

Unfortunately, no, we don't have any publicly available .ims files.
If you are able to open your files in Imaris, then this is almost
certainly a problem we need to fix in Bio-Formats.  We would need a
test file to ensure a proper fix though, so if you are willing to send
one of your files please do so here:

http://qa.openmicroscopy.org.uk/qa/upload/

Uploaded files are treated as confidential, and are only used by the
OME team for internal testing unless you give us explicit permission
to make them public.

Regards,
-Melissa