[ome-devel] optimised viewer for time laps data

Kai Schleicher kai.schleicher at unibas.ch
Fri Jan 20 12:37:15 GMT 2017

Hi,

In our facility we have a couple of users that store large time laps
datasets in OMERO.
Viewing these, i.e. replaying and scrolling around in these tl files is
however problematic when using the OMERO viewer, with several seconds
long pauses when jumping between frames depending on the size of the
images (e.g. ).

I did however notice that there are performance difference depending on
the viewer that is used. Here I have tested the web-viewer,
desctop-client-viewer and viewing the images in FIJI when fetched via
the FIJI-OMERO-connector using virtual stack.

While the desktop-clients-viewer performs about 40% faster than the
web-client, the FIJI-OMERO connector provided another increase of about
40% in replay speed compared to the desktop-client.

While I am aware that these viewers are not meant to be optimal for
tl-data, my tests make me wonder if it would be possible to write a
simple viewer (e.g. in python) dedicated to only this task and optimise
it for speed.
I apologise if this question is very naive (and I am also _not_ asking
you to write a new viewer :)), but I was simply wondering if there is
any potential improving the situation for our users by this approach.

Of course, if you happen to know other factors that also influence the
speed at which tl data is replayed, e.g. the file format used, let me
know and I'd be happy to try them outI'd be happy to know and try them out.

Thanks for your help and cheers,
Kai

--

>>Please note my NEW PHONE NUMBERS: +41 61 207 57 31 (direct) +41 61 207 22 50 (central)<<
Kai Schleicher, PhD | Research Associate in Advanced Light Microscopy | Biozentrum, University of Basel | Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 | CH-4056 Basel |
Phone: +41 61 207 57 31 (direct) +41 61 207 22 50 (central) | kai.schleicher at unibas.ch | www.biozentrum.unibas.ch | www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch