[ome-devel] Crash of OMERO's PixelDataHandler

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Aug 30 21:12:55 BST 2016

Tag,

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Niko Ehrenfeuchter
<nikolaus.ehrenfeuchter at unibas.ch> wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> On 29.08.2016 13:05, Josh Moore wrote:
>>
>> Kai & Niko,
>>
>> Thanks for the bug report.
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Kai Schleicher
>> <kai.schleicher at unibas.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I have uploaded one of the images (ID 17318) which leads to the crash as
>>> reported by Niko.
>>>
>>> I used your "send file" option since I did not want to produce the same
>>> crash on your demo server - I hope this is ok:
>>>
>>> http://qa.openmicroscopy.org.uk/qa/feedback/17318/?token=1e90a4571044b5a36e817ca32f3393d5
>>

>> Thanks for the file. We haven't been able to reproduce the failure
>> yet, but we'll keep you posted. (Any server config etc. that's worth
>> knowing?)
>

> don't know, what can I send you? bin/omero config get? Any additional XML
> configs? Storage setup? ;-)

bin/omero config get --hide-password
If you think there's anything of interest, but judging by the rest of
your email, there's not.

Let us know how that goes.

>> Compared to other pyramids you've generated, how long would you
>> *expect* this to take?
>

> That's really hard to judge. There's quite some load on the server right
> now, plus we're sometimes experiencing some slowness on the storage side, so
> I do not have a good feeling about what to expect (with all the different
> components influencing the overall computation time for pyramids).
>
> In the end, it might just be caused by the above mentioned storage slowness,
> leading to the timeout. Would this be a possible explanation, i.e.
> would/could "lockups" of the storage system result in the reported log
> messages?

Having storage be slow would certainly be enough to lead to timeouts.
However, first, there shouldn't really be a timeout (but of course,
what happen if it's hanging forever...) and second, *if* a timeout is
hit, it shouldn't require a restart.

> Cheers,
> Niko

All the best,