[ome-devel] Question regarding importing Bio-Formats libraries in NetBeans

Mirella Koleva mirella.koleva at dpag.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 2 18:35:16 BST 2016

Hi All,

I am using the NetBeans IDE to develop a plugin for ImageJ in the Java language. The plugin needs Bio-Formats to open the image to be analysed. I am new to using NetBeans and what I am having problems with is figuring out how to add the Bio-Formats Java libraries to my NetBeans project.

I have searched very extensively on the internet for a solution and nothing seems to work.
Amongst other things, I have tried:

1)      Downloading formats-gpl.jar and putting it in the CLASSPATH and build path, as advised on the OME website http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/bio-formats5.1/developers/java-library.html

2)      Right-clicking on the 'Dependencies' folder of my NetBeans plugin project, selecting 'Add Dependency...', clicking on the 'Dependency Management' tab and selecting 'ome : formats-gpl : [ jar ]'.

3)      Adding a global library in the Ant Library Manager by selecting Tools > Libraries, clicking on 'New Library...', then in both the 'Classpath' and 'Sources' tabs clicking on 'Add JAR/Folder' and choosing the right path to the .jar downloaded in 1).

Regardless of this, NetBeans still doesn't recognise the libraries I want to import: it underlines them in red and when I hover on the left-hand side over the warning icons, a pop-up bubble says 'package does not exist'.

I am attaching here a snapshot of my screen.

I'd be very grateful for any tips regarding this issue!

With many thanks,

Mirella