[ome-devel] Next steps with ImageJ-OMERO

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Oct 2 19:06:07 BST 2014

Hi Jean-Marie,

> we decided to rewrite in Java some Matlab code he already had, to
> convert ImageJ ROI into OMERO ROI. This is currently in a standalone
> class, solely for training purpose and should be pushed to the
> relevant components when ready.

This is great. Please let me know when and where that work gets pushed, and
I'll be happy to take a look! One option would be to file it as PR of
imagej-omero, which we can discuss/enhance/merge together.

Also note that Melissa wrote some code in Bio-Formats that translates
between ImageJ and OME-XML ROIs. You can find it in the ROIHandler class:

https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/v5.0.5/components/bio-formats-plugins/src/loci/plugins/util/ROIHandler.java

When combined with an OMEROMetadataStore, this should also allow reading
and writing ROIs to/from OMERO.

I added some notes to https://github.com/imagej/imagej-omero/issues/2
documenting all of this.

> * User opens an image in Fiji/ImageJ, draw some ROI and import the
>   image and save roi into OMERO
> * User opens an image in Fiji/ImageJ,
>   already stored in OMERO and save/read some ROI from the server

Good idea. I was planning to do this as part of the ROIs work, but there
was no issue filed for it. I have now filed one:

https://github.com/imagej/imagej-omero/issues/49

Regards,
Curtis

P.S. I CCed ome-devel to keep the community in the loop about our progress.