[ome-devel] OMERO 5 deletion performance

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Jun 6 00:39:06 BST 2014

Hi Yanling,

On Jun 4, 2014, at 2:14 PM, Yanling Liu wrote:

> I am using postgres 9.1. And I got same error message after increasing
> kernel.shmmax to 128MB.

Sorry that you're still having troubles. Unfortunately, the entire OME team
is currently at the annual users' meeting:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/community/minutes/meetings/9th-annual-users-meeting-june-2014

so our responses will be somewhat slower than usual. Until your PostgreSQL installation
is no longer showing the error, though, comparing deletion times won't be useful.

Have you restarted PostgreSQL after the change? If that didn't work, your host?

You might want to read through https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server
to find out more about changing these settings.

> In case you might wonder why I need to delete files. It is simply because
> there's import error so I need to delete whatever imported into OMERO
> before doing import again.

Makes complete sense.

> Not to mention import performance in OMERO is also low...

Can you quantify this for us? What file format are you trying to import? How many individual files and GB per fileset?
How long did import take? Could you send us the import log?

Also note that part of the import times will be dependent on the performance of your PostgreSQL installation, so until we've handled the first issue, we may not want to compare import times).

> Thanks,
> Yanling

Cheers,
~Josh.