[ome-devel] Migrating IMetadata API out of the SCIFIO component

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Feb 11 14:01:50 GMT 2014

Hi Mark,

>  I was wondering if this would be a good time to move the IMetadata
> API<https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/tree/develop/components/scifio/src/loci/formats/meta>out
> of components/scifio. I think, ideally, it should be part of
> OME-XML<https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/tree/develop/components/ome-xml>component.
>
>  My motivation here is the
> OME-Formats<https://github.com/scifio/ome-formats>project, which
> provides
> SCIFIO <https://github.com/scifio/scifio>-based components that use
> ome-xml. But to use the convenience of the IMetadata classes, I have to
> pull in the core of Bio-Formats as a dependency. This then propagates on
> to, say, SCIFIO-LifeSci <https://github.com/scifio/scifio-lifesci>, which
> would contain SCIFIO translators back to OME-XML.. but the whole point of
> these being SCIFIO-based is basically defeated by the inclusion of
> Bio-Formats dependencies.
>
> Furthermore, the loci.formats.meta package is also autogenerated by xsd-fu
> and belongs hand in hand with ome.xml.* in the same JAR file.
>
>  Anyway, I propose moving the IMetadata classes to components/ome-xml, and
> leaving trivial extensions in their place for backwards compatibility.

Thank you for the suggestion.  This has been discussed a bit off-list as you
know, but for everyone else's benefit this is something that we are strongly
considering for the upcoming 5.0.0 release.  We have a branch in progress
with proposed breaking changes (for this and a few other components):

https://github.com/melissalinkert/bioformats/commits/deprecation

Note that those are proposed changes only at the moment, and so are still
subject to debate.  In the next day or two, we will finalize exactly how much
of this is to be done for 5.0.0, and how much will be left for a future major
release.

Regards,
-Melissa