[ome-devel] Migrating IMetadata API out of the SCIFIO component

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Mon Feb 10 18:06:50 GMT 2014

Hi all,

 I was wondering if this would be a good time to move the IMetadata
API<https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/tree/develop/components/scifio/src/loci/formats/meta>out
of components/scifio. I think, ideally, it should be part of
OME-XML<https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/tree/develop/components/ome-xml>component.

 My motivation here is the
OME-Formats<https://github.com/scifio/ome-formats>project, which
provides
SCIFIO <https://github.com/scifio/scifio>-based components that use
ome-xml. But to use the convenience of the IMetadata classes, I have to
pull in the core of Bio-Formats as a dependency. This then propagates on
to, say, SCIFIO-LifeSci <https://github.com/scifio/scifio-lifesci>, which
would contain SCIFIO translators back to OME-XML.. but the whole point of
these being SCIFIO-based is basically defeated by the inclusion of
Bio-Formats dependencies.

Furthermore, the loci.formats.meta package is also autogenerated by xsd-fu
and belongs hand in hand with ome.xml.* in the same JAR file.

 Anyway, I propose moving the IMetadata classes to components/ome-xml, and
leaving trivial extensions in their place for backwards compatibility.

 Are there any objections or desired alternatives to this?

Thanks!
- Mark