[ome-devel] Make LOCI data browser default IJ / Fiji viewer ?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Dec 12 20:28:47 GMT 2013

Hi Hadrien,

[Cross-posting with imagej-devel since this discussion is relevant there
too.]

> My problem is when for example I duplicate or make a z projection on
> an OME Tiff file under data browser, the new viewer will be hyperstack
> (IJ/Fiji default viewer). However if I export the file with LOCI
> exporter and then I re open it with LOCI importer I can still have
> data browser and OME metadata are here as well.

Ah. So at minimum, what you need is a way to wrap an ImageJ hyperstack back
into a Data Browser window again. You can do that with this Beanshell
one-liner:

    new loci.plugins.util.DataBrowser(IJ.getImage());

Paste that line into the script editor and save as (e.g.) data-browser.bsh.
When you run it, the currently active image window will be converted to a
Data Browser window.

You can even install the script into the menus and map a shortcut key to
it, although of course that's still not completely automatic. For a totally
seamless override of the default image viewer you'll have to wait for IJ2.

> It really awesome if you can backport some IJ2 features to Fiji 1
> since IJ2 won't be released before at least one year from what I
> saw...

Yes, we are working toward more of a gradual release schedule. Rather than
releasing "ImageJ2" as one monolithic thing (which it really isn't), we
want to start integrating the already polished parts of it into Fiji as
soon as possible. We are currently working on the "legacy" interoperability
layer to facilitate this.

> are you considering in a mid/long term to merge Fiji/IJ2 ? Does it
> make really sense to separate both ? I think it would be best for
> everyone (devs and users) to have only one place for download and
> development so you would have a better visiblity and it will be much
> more clear for potential contributors or bug reporters to know where
> they need to go

That is essentially what we are doing, yes. ImageJ2 is the core software;
several parts of Fiji core infrastructure have migrated into ImageJ2. So at
heart, Fiji is now a big collection of life sciences plugins -- i.e., an
ImageJ update site. As such, you can currently obtain a working Fiji
installation by downloading ImageJ2, running the updater, and toggling the
Fiji update site.

Fiji and ImageJ2 are fundamentally the same software, using the same
launcher. It's just that if you download "Fiji" and run it, it currently
starts up in ImageJ1 mode at the moment. But Fiji ships with ImageJ2 and
you can launch it in that mode instead if you prefer -- or switch to
ImageJ2 mode after launching using the "Switch to Modern Mode" command
under the Help menu.

Ultimately, we probably do not want to get rid of the two distinct web
sites and project names though, since people are familiar with both. That
said, we are integrating resources when feasible: e.g., wiki.imagej.net and
fiji.sc are really both the same wiki with a different skin, to make
cross-linking more seamless. But we want to ensure it is clear that ImageJ2
is not a life-sciences-specific project, whereas Fiji is. Historically,
because Fiji has a life sciences focus, there have been some users who
refused to switch from vanilla ImageJ1 to Fiji even though Fiji makes
users' lives easier in lots of ways.

Regards,
Curtis