[ome-devel] bioformats performance over network shares

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 22 19:11:02 BST 2011

Hi everyone,

Bio-Formats has classes known as RandomAccessInputStream and
RandomAccessOutputStream, which are intended to allow random access behavior
in a variety of contexts, including streams (with the StreamHandle class).
All of this logic lives in the loci.common package of loci-common.jar.
Unfortunately, StreamHandle is an abstract class and there is not a
general-purpose concrete implementation for streams. If there were, we could
try using a StreamHandle with a BufferedOutputStream of sufficient buffer
size, and see if it made any difference for Rubén.

Melissa, any thoughts on how difficult it would be to make StreamHandle into
a concrete class, with a constructor that accepts a DataInputStream as
argument, and one that accepts a DataOutputStream?

-Curtis