[ome-devel] bioformats performance over network shares

Gregory Jefferis jefferis at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 20:37:36 BST 2011

On 2011-06-20 18:02, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Maybe the random access could be buffered with a configurable window size?
> That could improve performance and be a more general solution..
This seems like a good idea. For comparison I remember a case for a Fiji
plugin I wrote (NrrdReader) that when reading compressed files from
network drives (SMB) adding a fairly small buffer (50k) could result in
a several fold increase in read speed.

Also was curious about the ratio of bulk write speed to OME tiff write
speed in OP (Ruben's) case.

Best,

Greg.

Gregory Jefferis, PhD                      jefferis at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Division of Neurobiology                   LMB Lab:   +44 (0)1223 252943
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology,       LMB Office:+44 (0)1223 252944
Hills Road,                                LMB Fax:   +44 (0)1223 402310
Cambridge, CB2 0QH, UK.

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/group-leaders/h-to-m/g-jefferis
http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/directory/profile.php?gsxej2
http://flybrain.stanford.edu