[ome-devel] Thumbnail_Figure.py

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 15:33:08 GMT 2011

Hi Jerome,

Seems like this is a popular request, since it has recently been
requested in the forums:
https://www.openmicroscopy.org.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=549&sid=9c8d00275f1909280ead33b1e60b52c5

Insight has a hard-coded recognition of "Thumbnail_Figure.py" and some
other scripts and uses a custom UI (not a UI generated from the script
itself).
As you saw, Insight doesn't display the "Data_Type" or "IDs" fields
from the script, but instead it populates them 'behind the scenes'
using the currently selected Images / Datasets.

What we have discussed doing is using a conventionally-named
parameters in the Python scripts to indicate to Insight that you want
these auto-filled based on the current selection.

E.g. Use "Data_Type" and "IDs" exactly like in the Thumbnail Figure
script.

I've created a ticket for this:
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/3922

  Cheers,

    Will.

On 19 Jan 2011, at 15:07, Jerome Avondo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to replicate/understand the imageID selection behaviour
> of the Thumbnail_Figure.py script.
>
> Basically I want a script that is able to get the ImageIds either by:
>
> 1) A user selects multiple images in a dataset then runs the script,
> 2) A user selects multiple datasets then runs the script,
>
> From this I want for 1) all the imageIDs of the selected images, and
> for 2) all the ImageIDs belonging to the datasets selected.
> From what I have seen the Thumbnail_Figure.py does exactly what I
> want.
>
> And it does this by having call paths for either Images or Datasets
> using the "Data_Type" variable.
> However I don't understand a few things,
>
> How does the script actually distinguish the Data_Type, as it always
> seems to be the default value when I run it from the command line,
> ie with debug output etc, so I can trace whats happening. Even when
> I give it the ID of an Image it still has Data_Type as a dataset.
> I'm guessing the command line execution is missing a step that's
> happening in the GUI/insight execution.
>
> Secondly how come you set the
>
>         scripts.String("Data_Type", optional=False, grouping="1",
>             description="The data you want to work with.",
> values=dataTypes, default="Dataset"),
>
> But this is never shown in the GUI, how does it know to "hide" it,
> where is this being specified?
> Thanks,
>
> Jerome.

William Moore
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street