[ome-devel] Fwd: experience with OME

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Sep 21 10:43:37 BST 2009

Hi Curtis...

On 16 Sep 2009, at 23:09, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> We definitely want to encourage this sort of thing. My group (LOCI)
> is in the middle of a similar effort, mapping all our acquisition
> metadata to OME-XML, and working to produce valid OME-TIFF files in
> every case.
>
> So yes, the documentation is supposed to help. I agree that the
> documentation in the schema itself could use a lot of improvement.
> My group has a graduate student in library sciences, Caitlin
> Sticco, who is currently analyzing the schema and compiling a list
> of suggestions and improvements; hopefully we can update the
> documentation as well as we work to improve the schema.
>
> Caitlin and I are also discussing how to make better diagrams—one
> idea we had is to generate them in Graphviz format from the XSD
> file. Any other suggestions for ways to make useful pictures would
> be welcome.

I've been using a combination of xsl, javascript (jQuery) etc to turn
the ome.xsd into a browsable hierarchy.

http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/snapshots/omero/editor/omeXsd/ome-
r373.xsd

Handy because it's instantly updated if you're editing the xsd, and
hierarchy is easy to understand.

Use links on the top to expand/collapse all or show/hide docs.

Obviously this code could be extended to do a bunch of other stuff.
E.g. JM suggested allowing the root element to be chosen, e.g.
"Image" or "Instrument".

   Will.

> Your idea of a list of common use cases, and how to express them in
> OME-XML, is a great one. We should add that to the OME-XML web
> site. For that, we need A) a list of which common use cases to
> include; and B) someone with enough time to work on writing it up.
> But at the least we can file a ticket about it on the OME-XML Trac
> at http://www.ome-xml.org/. And actually, you are welcome to file
> such tickets too, using the ome/ome login. :-)  To be clear, we
> want to encourage external suggestions through that mechanism.

William Moore
Division of Gene Regulation and Expression
College of Life Sciences
University of Dundee
Scotland
DD1 5PH