[ome-devel] Getting started with C++ API for OMERO.server clients

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Tue Sep 1 11:24:17 BST 2009

Nick Perry writes:
 > the previous* command (not following). Sorry.
 >
 > On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Nick Perry <nperry at stanford.edu> wrote:
 >
 > > Hey Josh,
 > >
 > > Sorry to bug you again.
 > >
 > > I'm trying to put together in my head everything I've done so far.
 > >
 > > With the command:
 > > svn co http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/svn/omero/trunk omero
 > >
 > > I'm checking out a new omero distribution, right? So if I had the
 > > omero

Correct.

 > > server up and running already on my computer (the standard download), I've
 > > messed things up, right?

Not really. You'll need to shut it off (bin/omero admin stop) in order
to start the new server. If you've already deleted the directory, you
can use:

  killall icegridnode

to get rid of the runing server.

 > > I was just looking in my previous omero distribution folder and
 > > this new checked out one, and they share files but the latter has
 > > the build.py. So if I'm guessing correctly, I need to run the
 > > omero server out of this new, special distribution, right?

Right. When you run ./build.py from a checkout it produces the "dist"
directory. This is the same as the distribution which is available for
download.

 > > So the omero server with API is DIFFERENT than the normal omero
 > > server, and in order to write C++ api for connecting 3rd party
 > > clients to omero i need to be running the omero server using the
 > > distribution I check out with the following command...?

Not at all. As long as the versions match, you can use a distribution
with a checkout. Your distribution is most likely 4.0.x, so you'll
need to be checking out from:

  http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/svn/omero/branches/Beta4.0/

The reason that the svn checkout is required is that we don't
currently provide the C++ library with the distribution.

 > > Thanks for the help,
 > > Nick

Gladly,
~Josh.