[ome-devel] Getting started with C++ API for OMERO.server clients

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Tue Sep 1 11:18:35 BST 2009

Nick Perry writes:
 > Hey Josh,

Hey Nick,

 > Sorry I'm not as familiar with compiling C++ / makefiles as I should be, but
 > in the following step:

No worries. It's simply not a lot of fun. :)

 > Finding the library
 > ¶<http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroCpp#Findingthelibrary>
 >
 > What will be produced by that build are two sets of artifacts:
 >
 >    - dist/include contains C++ header files as well as the
 > slice<hhttp://zeroc.com/doc/Ice-3.3.0/manual/Slice.html>files from
 > which the Ice-based model is generated. You will need to pass
 >    these to your compiler.
 >    - dist/lib contains the shared library file, which you will need to pass
 >    to your linker. On Linux libomero_client.so on OS X
 > libomero_client.dyliband on Windows
 >    omero_client.dll, in 32 or 64-bit mode depending on your CXXFLAGS (See
 >    OmeroBuild <http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroBuild>)
 >
 > Note: the shared library files can be quite large, even over 200MB.
 >

 > For bullet 2, do I need to pass my shared library file explicitly in a step
 > I should know how to do, or is this accomplished in the next step when I use
 > the make file?

The Makefile is one way to pass the shared library to a build. If
you or someone else were not using make, then it'd have to be done
differently. For example, manually:

  g++ -lomero_client ....

or in Visual Studio it has to be added to the project.

So in your case, the only thing you have to do is download Makefile
and yourcode.cpp to the "omero" directory, and execute the shell
statements shown:

  make OMERO_DIST=dist yourcode
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=dist/lib ./yourcode --Ice.Config=dist/etc/ice.config

Hope that helps,
~Josh.