[ome-devel] Problem using boost for omero server tests

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Mon Oct 19 23:45:26 BST 2009

Ingvar Lagerstedt writes:
 > Hi Josh,
 >
 > I updated to rev 5527 and repeated the sequence:
 > ./build_py clean
 > ./build_py build-all
 > ./build_py test-unit
 >
 > and this time the tests run.

Excellent.

 > I did not see any issues in build log, that
 > all looks good now.

Good to hear.

 > Several tests fail.  Some due to the fact that I have not figured out how
 > to open port 4063 on my Mac OS X 10.5.8.  The way how port opening works
 > changed for 10.5, so that you no longer open a dedicated port, instead you
 > are supposed to allow applications.  I have yet to find any instructions
 > on how to do this.
 >
 > I thought that having
 > /etc/services list port 4063 as an Ice Firewall Traversal Router
 > together with that the local firewall on the machine is set to allow all
 > incoming connections
 > would be enough.

We'll be sure to review the docs on the upcoming installation pages
for 10.5 firewall settings.

 > The error message I get related to port 4063 is (the whole log for the
 > unit tests is attached):
 > python-test:
 > "/Users/ingvar/Software/omero/omero/components/tools/OmeroPy/target/omero/clients.py",
 > line 222, in _initData
 >     self.__ic = Ice.initialize(id)
 >   File "/opt/Ice-3.3.1/python/Ice.py", line 340, in initialize
 >     communicator = IcePy.Communicator(args, data)
 > Ice.EndpointParseException: exception ::Ice::EndpointParseException
 > {
 >     str = tcp  -p 4063 -h <"omero.host" not set>
 > }

Hmmm.... this appears to be a separate issue. Looks like the python
tests are not finding their configuration file.

 > Execution failed.
 > ok

Ingvar, while I more than appreciate your help in tracking down
issues, is there something in particular you are testing for? Getting
all of OMERO up and running to have *all* of the tests pass is quite
complicated: it requires databases, test files, mount points and more
to be in place. It's rare that we can have everything pass in a single
run ourselves. I don't mean to discourage; I just don't want you
spending your time trying to perfect a build that is known to be
imperfect (for the moment).

Best wishes,
~Josh.