[ome-devel] OMERO Django and Apache

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Tue Mar 31 14:44:55 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 11:00 +0100, Mark Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Mark,

> There has been some discussion on ome-users about enabling access to the
> webclient from hosts other than localhost. It looks like webclient is
> served using the Django built-in webserver, for which the Django docs
> state "DO NOT USE THIS SERVER IN A PRODUCTION SETTING".
>
> We would like to use Apache and mod_python/mod_wsgi as the front end to
> the Django app as we already have SSL enabled with this setup and it
> will presumably have better performance etc.
>
> Has anyone else tried this? I'm not sure how it fits into the ICE Grid
> stuff (if at all). I'm guessing that this would be an unsupported
> configuration.

It's actually the "suggested configuration." :) Aleksandra has put
together a configuration page for disabling the built-in web server and
using mod_python. This is especially useful for those who are interested
in using OMERO.web in anger. Now available here:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/documents/data-management/omero4/server/install-web

Any feedback on your experience using that documentation would be very
valuable.

I'm just in the process of linking this documentation to the UNIX and
Windows install pages.

> Mark.

Thanks!

-Chris