[ome-devel] Questions on OMERO.server (BETA) 4.0 RC1

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Tue Mar 10 10:39:24 GMT 2009

Mario Valle writes:
 > Ciao Josh!

Ah, ciao Mario! I was waiting to hear from you. :)

 > The beta4-rc1 build went on without a single problem!

Great to hear.

 > Well, I cannot access webadmin, but read on.

K.

 > I have only a suggestion and a few questions.
 > I suggest to put in the instructions that the environment variable

 > PYTHONPATH=/Users/mvalle/Ice-3.3.0/py/python:/omero-4.0-rc1/dist/lib/python
 > should be set before running bin/omero config

Definitely. However, dist/lib/python shouldn't be necesssary since
bin/omero will add itself. (Let me know if that doesn't work for
you). But very much, the Ice python directory does need to be added,
but that is specific to how and where you installed it. We'll do our
best to make that straight-forward for everyone.

 > Questions:
 > 1) Should the bin/omero admin start command be run under sudo? Seems do not make any
 > difference

This is something you will need to decide. Once you run it under sudo,
you will need to ALWAYS run it under sudo because the directories
created will be owned by root. In general, we suggest *not* running as
root, since there is really no need to do so.

 > 2) Which are the db.user and db.name that you set to me/mydb?
 > Should they be omero/omero?

omero/omero are the defaults. They are respectively the name of the
postgres user and the name of the database which the server should
access. The actual values are completely up to you.

 > 3) Should the data.dir an empty directory and not the old Beta3.2 /OMERO directory?

There should be no problem using the previous /OMERO directory, but
you should only do so if you successfully applied the upgrade script
and are using the previous database. If you are using a fresh
database, also use a fresh data.dir, otherwise the pixel data will be
overwritten. (And as ALWAYS, please, please make backups when
upgrading and more so for release candidates)

 > 4) The new db is omero and no more omero3, correct?

That is your choice. If you'd like to use omero3, just be sure to set
omero.db.name to "omero3"

 > 5) I have opened the ports 1098, 4063, 4444, 3873, 8000. Is this
 > correct?

No. From this release on, only 4063 is needed, unless you configure
your server for using SSL in which case you only need 4064. However,
these are just the IANA assigned ports for the Glacier2 router. You
are welcome to use any port you'd like, as long as you change the
client-endpoints configuration in etc/grid/default.xml

 > 6) How can I build the standard clients?

The importer is built by default when building the server (via "ant"),
and you can package a zip with "ant release-zip". See target/*.zip

Building insight is as it always was, and the various test builds are
available for download from:

  http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/job/OMERO/
  http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/job/INSIGHT/

 > And now the scoop:
 > Seems the server doesn't start because I run on Mac PPC with OSX 10.4 . Instead the
 > master.err (attached) show that 10.5 is required.

There are now *several* processes started when you run "bin/omero
admin start", so my assumption is that only DropBox did not run. I'll
comment below.

 > I hope this is only an oversight and not a hard
 > prerequisite. Otherwise I'm cut out again from the OME world...

No chance! :)

 > Let me know.
 > Ciao!
 > 	mario

~Josh.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "lib/python/runFSServer.py", line 12, in ?
    import FSServer
  File "/omero-4.0-rc1/dist/lib/python/FSServer.py", line 13, in ?
    import MonitorServer
  File "/omero-4.0-rc1/dist/lib/python/MonitorServer.py", line 97, in ?
    raise Exception(errorString)
Exception: Mac Os 10.5 or above required. You have: 10.4.9

Right. This means that the OMERO.fs process didn't start properly. It
*is* 10.5 minimum. However, as with all the OMERO.grid processes, you
could start it individually on a separate server. Let me know if this
is of interest, and I'll outline how to do that.

Starting django...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "manage.py", line 27, in ?
    import settings # Assumed to be in the same directory.
  File "/omero-4.0-rc1/dist/lib/omeroweb/settings.py", line 152, in ?
    filemode='w')
TypeError: basicConfig() takes no arguments (5 given)

This is an error from the webclient / webadmin. We assume it's due to your
python version being pre-10.4. Can you confirm this? If so, try
upgrading to 2.4+.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: var/log/Blitz-0.log (Permission denied)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)	at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)

This comes from running as root, and probably *is* preventing your
server from starting. You may want to either create a new deployment
directory, or chown all the files.

03/10/09 10:37:33.557 OMERO.Glacier2: warning: unable to contact permissions verifier `BlitzVerifier at BlitzAdapters'
Reference.cpp:1546: Ice::NoEndpointException:
no suitable endpoint available for proxy `BlitzVerifier -t @ BlitzAdapters'
03/10/09 10:37:33.561 OMERO.Glacier2: warning: unable to contact session manager `BlitzManager at BlitzAdapters'
Reference.cpp:1546: Ice::NoEndpointException:
no suitable endpoint available for proxy `BlitzManager -t @ BlitzAdapters'

These are truly just startup warnings. Once blitz comes up, the
Glacier2 router will connect to it.