[ome-devel] Integrating OMERO with DiGS

James Perry jamesp at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 10:46:21 BST 2008

Hi all,

Apologies if this is not the appropriate list for asking about this.

I am based at Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre, working on the
"Data Grid For Cell Biology" project. The project aims to adapt the
Distributed Grid Storage (DiGS) software, which was originally
developed for particle physics data, and use it for storing cell
biology data. As part of this work we would like our software to
integrate as well as possible with OMERO.

DiGS manages a "virtual file system" which distributes files
transparently across storage at several sites, and replicates them so
that there are multiple copies. It also manages a database of XML
metadata describing the data files, and allows users to search this
database.

At a minimum, we would like to use the same data formats as OMERO
(OME-TIFF for image data, OME-XML for metadata), but ideally we would
like a much closer integration. For example, data uploaded to OMERO by
a user would automatically be replicated by DiGS and become available
at another site (either through a DiGS client tool, yet to be written,
or possibly even through another OMERO server). I have obtained the
OMERO server and clients and have been studying them to find out how
difficult this would be.

 From what I have seen, I think it would be better for DiGS to go
through the OMERO APIs to access image files rather than attempting to
manipulate the OMERO data store directly. As I understand it, the data
store is in an OMERO internal format which may change in different
versions and may not be readable by other software. I was wondering if
there are APIs to do things like the following:

  - read images from an OMERO server (in their original format, or at
least in a standard image format)
  - write images to an OMERO server
  - get image properties (for example, file size, upload time, owner)
  - enumerate images
  - access other files (for example, documents attached to images)
  - access the OME-XML metadata (read/write)

I have been looking at the OmeroApi pages on the Wiki but so far I
can't tell for certain whether all these things are supported.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James Perry

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.