[ome-devel] DeleteRecord and SVG questions.

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Feb 20 22:00:07 GMT 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 2:09 PM, august wrote:

> 2.)  I don't know if this has already been implemented, but it is kind
> of annoying that the OME web interface checks my browser to see if it
> has the adobe SVG plugin.  I use Mozilla and SVG should work by
> default
> there.   And, since I use 64bit linux, I cannot install the adobe
> plugin.  Is there any way we can just take away this check,  or add a
> check for the mozilla browser so that I can see the SVG viewer?

Unfortunately, Mozilla's support for SVG has been woefully inadequate
for quite some time.  Looking at conformance tests recently looks
like there may be enough there now to make it work (it appears that
drawing text is a recent addition, for example).  There's still a
fair bit to do in the SVG code to make it compatible with Mozilla's
SVG implementation.  Its looks like it may be possible to make it
compatible with both.

The work-around is to install a 32-bit version of Mozilla and use
Adobe's plug-in for that.  Its the same work-around as for Intel-
based Macs, for example, you have to run Firefox/Mozilla in emulation
mode to get non-Intel-based plugins to work.  You also have to turn
off the internal SVG support by putting "about:config" in the URL
box, and setting "svg.enabled" to false.

If we had a web developer, we would replace the SVG viewer with an
Ajax-based viewer.  There's going to be one in my group sometime in
the next couple of months.  Until then, we're a bit screwed
unfortunately.  Serves us right for buying into a technology before
everyone else did.

-Ilya