[ome-devel] questions about OMERO

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Feb 19 21:48:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

With Chris's help, I was able to get OMERO working pretty well -- it
was largely an issue of documentation. To anyone else installing
OMERO, I suggest following the "manual install" instructions, and
ignoring the "quick install" option. As time allows, we plan to
investigate implementation of a "Download from OMERO" plugin for
ImageJ as part of our plugin suite.

I do have some questions about the system, though:

1) Can OMERO export original files with no programming (e.g., from
OMERO.insight)? If not, is this functionality planned? We would like
to start by using OMERO as a "smart file server," with the ability to
freely download original files from the database for use in external
applications.

2) Is there currently a way to view all associated metadata for an
Image -- such as a list of linked structures as in OME's web
interface, or perhaps an XML view? It would be useful to get a nice,
neat view of an Image's relevant metadata within OMERO.insight.

3) Is there a command-line or other automation-friendly importer for
OMERO? It would be helpful for some acquisition systems -- the
acquired data could be uploaded to a dedicated machine (probably the
OMERO server machine), which would perform an automated import.

4) Is there a timeline for OMERO being able to import OME-TIFF and
OME-XML, or some subset thereof? It seems like the ability to freely
handle OME-XML could be very useful for exchanging data between OME
and OMERO. I suppose there is a sticking point with custom
SemanticTypes, but I don't know enough about OMERO's architecture to
have a feel for how difficult a problem that poses.

Thanks,
Curtis