[ome-users] In-place import from CIFS share fails with permission error

Roger Leigh rleigh at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 11:38:57 GMT 2018

On 17/01/18 20:47, Brian Dunnette wrote:
> Simon-
>
> 1. I've uploaded the relevant portion of Blitz-0.log (for 1/10-1/12) via
> the QA site - hope this is of some help!
>
> 2. Yes, this seems to work fine - no error messages when cat-ing the SVS
> file as the omero user.
>
> 3. I've set the mount permissions to read-only as you suggested - it
> seems to read the file data, but still ends with the "cannot flush" error:

The flush operation is calling the Java NIO FileChannel force(true)
method¹.  This flushes both file contents and additional metadata.  The
latter operation might be required to make updates to the directory the
file resides in, and it might be this that's failing.  I'd suggest you
also check the directory ownership and permissions on both the client
and server--check the omero user and/or group on the server can create
files there with the appropriate group ownership and permissions.

You might also want to check the Samba CIFS ownership and mask settings
here.  Settings include²:

   create mode
   create mask
   directory mode
   directory mask
   force group
   force user

If the group write permission turns out to be the problem, you can set
the group write bit for the create and directory modes, and set the mask
to 0002 to retain it.  If it's the ownership, forcing specific
user/group ownership will possibly help.

Kind regards,
Roger

¹
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/channels/FileChannel.html#force(boolean)
² https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html

--
Dr Roger Leigh -- Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression,