[ome-users] can ome files OMETIFFWriter compress embedded xml?

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Sat Apr 21 13:10:56 BST 2018

Hi,

I understand that each ome tiff file contains the full meta data xml,
so that "even if some of the TIFF files in a dataset are misplaced, the
metadata remains intact" [1]. I find this quite nice! But it also makes
me wonder if it would be possible to add compression of embedded xml in
ome tiff files?

I am under the impression that ome-files supports gzip and bzip2 out
of the box in order to decode embedded image data in xml files. So it
seems relatively straightforward to add the vice-versa for embedded
xml in ome tif :-)

Of course the meta data generally makes up only a fraction of the image
data, so it might not be a super high priority. But on the other hand,
xml is notoriously big, and can easily add several KB per file.

Thanks for the nice work, and all the best,

    Mario Emmenlauer

[1] https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/ome-files-cpp/0.5.0/ome-model/manual/html/ome-tiff/index.html

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de