[ome-users] OME-TIFF: problem with the "micron" character (micrometer unit)

Guenter Giese Guenter.Giese at mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de
Fri Sep 1 15:59:03 BST 2017

Dear list members,

I am working with Fiji / BioFormats v 5.6.0 on a Windows 7 PC.

When I open an ome-tiff file with the Bio-Formats Importer, I receive
the following text string in the OME Metadata window:

      WorkingDistanceUnit="µm">

When I use the tiffcomment utility to extract the xml header of a tiff
file (output.tiff) using a batch file (.\tiffcomment ..\output.tiff >
..\comment.xml), I end up with the following string in the Objective ID
attributes:

      WorkingDistanceUnit="�m">

So the initial working distance unit seems to be no more valid.

(note: the weird character before the m"> string displayed in the
previous line seems to be dependent on the mail program too....)

How to solve this problem?

Thanks for help,

Guenter