[ome-users] dm4 format

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Mar 29 15:39:56 BST 2017

Hi David,

> At least to me, this seems like the dm4 file is not being recognized
> as an "understood format" in the same way that dm3 files are being
> recognized.

This is a fundamental limitation of ImageJ 1.x: file types beyond those
built into ImageJ itself are handled by a special plugin called
HandleExtraFileTypes. The version of HandleExtraFileTypes which ships with
Fiji tries a series of different plugins, including the DM3_Reader, and
finally if nothing else works then Bio-Formats is tried.

https://github.com/fiji/IO/blob/IO_-3.0.1/src/main/java/
HandleExtraFileTypes.java#L141-L149
https://github.com/fiji/IO/blob/IO_-3.0.1/src/main/java/
HandleExtraFileTypes.java#L493-L514

You can avoid this behavior in a couple of different ways:

* Use File > Import > Bio-Formats to call Bio-Formats directly, instead of
using File > Open.
* Use Plugins > Bio-Formats > Bio-Formats Plugins Shortcut Window, and
drag-and-drop your DM4 file onto the Bio-Formats window.
* In Edit > Options > ImageJ2..., check the "Use SCIFIO when opening files
(BETA!)" option. Then File > Open will work differently, and should invoke
Bio-Formats before trying the old DM3_Reader plugin.

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden