[ome-users] Is a web-user different from an API user? I get a credentials error

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 17:16:55 BST 2017

Hi Mario,

> On 18 Jul 2017, at 12:04, Mario Emmenlauer <mario at emmenlauer.de> wrote:
>

> Dear OMERO Team,
>
> I followed the documentation to add a user to a dockerized OMERO server:
> https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.3/sysadmins/cli/usergroup.html
> When I start the dockerized OMERO, I can log in from the web with the
> user/password credentials. Then I tried the minimal-omero-client example
> from https://github.com/ome/minimal-omero-client but it fails. I do:
>
> docker run \
>    --publish 56022:22 --publish 56023:4063 --publish 56024:4064 \
>    --publish 56028:80 --publish 56029:443 [...]
>
> ./gradlew build install && \
> ./build/install/GIT-minimal-omero-client/bin/GIT-minimal-omero-client \
>    --omero.host='myhost' \
>    --omero.port='56024' \
>    --omero.user='myuser' \
>    --omero.pass='mypassword'
>
> But get error:
> omero.gateway.exception.DSOutOfServiceException: Login credentials not valid
> at omero.gateway.Gateway.connect(Gateway.java:264)
> at com.example.SimpleConnection.connect(SimpleConnection.java:66)
> at com.example.SimpleConnection.main(SimpleConnection.java:95)
> Caused by: Glacier2.PermissionDeniedException
>    reason = "Password check failed for 'myuser': [id=2]"
> I'm pretty sure the parameters to minimal-omero-client are correct,
> because I tried various changes and they lead to adverse effects
> like "SSL error" on port 56023 or "connection refused" on different
> host names. I used copy-paste for the password, so the risk of typing
> errors is small.

Assuming the password is correct, the port forwarding might be the next
problem to investigate here.
Is the Dockerfile or the Docker image that you are running available
somewhere for us to be able to reproduce your steps?

> Why do the login credentials work on the website but fail via the API?
> Does a user require certain privileges for API login?

No the same OMERO user should be able to connect to the server via
either the Web or a Java client with the same credentials.

Sebastien