[ome-users] ImarisHDF Reader: Do not show the series dialog

ANDREICA Eliana e.andreica at bitplane.com
Fri Aug 18 15:33:37 BST 2017

Hello,

I should start by saying that this is a feature request (that we will implement if approved), not a bug report.

The current behavior of the ImarisHDF reader is to show a series dialog for the multi-resolution pyramid(s) contained in an IMS file. The pyramid is not a series in the usual series sense as it just contains different resolutions of the same image. We believe that generally, users are interested in the full resolution image. Therefore we (at Bitplane) propose to open the full resolution image without showing the series dialog.

We considered three alternative ways to get rid of the series dialog and propose these here:

1) We keep in core metadata only the highest resolution of the (first) pyramid.

2) We use setFlattenedResolutions(false) and populate core metadata with a pyramid of as many low resolution versions of the highest resolution image as is possible from the IMS file (sometimes not possible to use all resolutions from IMS since the IMS pyramid may downsample Z). These actions will make getSeriesCount() return 1, so that the series dialog will not show. It is not entirely clear to us whether it is of value for any part of Fiji to store the lower resolutions of the pyramid.

3) We don't modify the number of series. We make the series dialog optional (with the default = off), by adding a new checkbox, "Show lower resolutions", under Memory Management. I implemented that in my local copy, just to see what it would involve. Of course, a new checkbox for only one format (and conditioned so that its state is read only in case of that format) is not particularly desirable. We are just mentioning this alternative here, because maybe there are some other formats that would benefit from it? We don't know.

Please let us know if you think Bio-Formats could accommodate our feature-request and which of the three alternatives you would prefer. We will then open a pull request for that option.

We are aware of the windowless option in Bio-Formats, but with this request we intend to improve the workflow for users who use File->Open. We are also aware of the possibility of enabling ImageJ2 but we would like to deliver this to the majority of users asap.

Thank you,

Eliana Andreica

___________________________________________________________________________This e-mail is confidential and is for the addressee only.  Please refer to www.oxinst.com/email-statement for regulatory information.