[ome-users] 12k x 12k limits for ROI extraction/manipulation - are there fixes in the pipeline?

William Moore (Staff) W.Moore at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 12:29:40 BST 2016

Hi Jake,

 Just to clarify a little:

 The “12k x 12k” pixel download limit is only for “Export as TIFF/JPEG/PNG” and can be configured
https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.2/sysadmins/config.html#omero-client-download-as-max-size

This limit is dependent on the maximum plane size that can be rendered by the rendering engine,
since we get an OOM error in omeis.providers.re.RGBIntBuffer.
You can try to see if your infrastructure might support a higher limit.

Export as OME-TIFF doesn’t support tiled images (default limit for this is about 3k x 3k but is also configurable).

However, there is no fixed limit for downloads of the original image data.
This is purely dependent on your bandwidth and other infrastructure.

The changes to the “Images from ROIs” script that adds support for big images are in this PR:
https://github.com/ome/scripts/pull/115
If you are happy to download the latest version of that script and update it on your server
then you wouldn’t have to wait for back-porting and point release.

Regards,

  Will.

On 25 Oct 2016, at 20:09, Jake Carroll <jake.carroll at uq.edu.au<mailto:jake.carroll at uq.edu.au>> wrote:

Hi Jean-Marie.

Thanks for getting back to me. Most appreciated.

>> We currently have a limit on the size of the image that can downloaded.

Yes, and this worries people locally a great deal. They feel like their data “becomes trapped”. They can absolutely get the data IN to OMERO, but from a preservation perspective it becomes questionable to them if they can’t get *the same* data back out. From a data-governance and provenance perspective, I’d really like to see this fixed. It would allow us to adhere to several strict federal regulations and laws by doing so – and it’d make the scientists feel a lot more secure in their knowledge that OMERO is an authoritative data sink. If data can only go “one way” it represents a risk to scientists in some respects, from a digital preservation and data governance perspective, as you can appreciate.

>> By ROI extraction, are you thinking of creating ROI on some of those large images and “cropping” to generate a new image then download that image?

Absolutely correct, yes.

>> A new script is available in OMERO 5.3, https://github.com/ome/scripts/pull/115 to generate tiles images from ROIs

That could be exceedingly useful to us and I’d welcome it.

>> We are considering a 5.2.7 release to add support for ice 3.6.3
>> So we could certainly back port the script  mentioned above if it solved some of the issues.

You’d absolutely make a lot of progress for us by doing this and we’d be exceedingly appreciative. These things have been long-term niggling issues with complete OMERO adoption and total trust for a very long time. Fixing these things would boost confidence in the researchers and make OMERO a more ubiquitous platform for all.

Regards, and thanks again for your response. It is heartening.

-jc